Why are extensions so hard to implement? What is the technical difficulty exactly?

💬answered

(StaU) #1

Why are extensions so hard to implement? What is the technical difficulty exactly?

I am aware that Station is built on top of electron. And electron is a modified Chromium.

Case and Point:
Many modified chromium browsers support extensions out of the box. I would be really interested to learn what obstacles are there at the moment to prevent you from supporting all the extensions. (even all the apps)

What is the technical difficulty exactly?

/Discuss

(StaU) #2

silence may be the answer I guess :smiley:

(Alexandre Lacheze) #3

Hi @StaU,

Sorry for the late answer and thanks for your question!

Actually, Electron is not exactly a modified version of Chromium, it does include elements of Chromium (esp. the content module) but not all of them. For instance, the module and APIs to support the Chrome extensions is missing from original Electron versions.

Some Electron-based applications decided to import Chrome extensions modules and API from Chromium into Electron. That’s the case of Brave.
We could not re-import Chrome extensions modules from Chromium because our interface and architecture is to too far from Chromium’s one (in opposite to Brave). We rather decided to re-implement Chrome extensions APIs and adapt it to our interface and needs. But this is not an easy task.

Note we might open-source our implementation at some point.

Hope it answers your question