Titlebars on Windows are ugly / hide the top menu bar

SUMMARY
The default windows 10 titlebar and toolbar are jarring and clash with the design of station.

GIVE US CONTEXT

There’s no denying station is a beautiful app, particularly on MacOS. However, on windows the system-wide title-bars aren’t taken advantage of like they are in MacOS. This can be seen below, where the nice sidebar design is detracted from by a 1990’s-era tooltip drop-down menu. Similar apps have been able to get rid of this section and move the vital controls to the right click menu, or perhaps the menu that pops up when clicking the user icon in the bottom left. https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HgQ8dlg.png

PROVIDE DETAILS (tell us what you are looking to change)

Please implement a custom titlebar / GUI, similar to how apps like Affinity Designer or Photoshop commandeer this windows space and re-create the close, minimize and fullscreen buttons with their own-styled apps.
Documentation for this can be found:

totally agree with you. I like the app functionality wise but design wise it looks horrible on a windows machine. And that’s too bad because the app itself looks beautiful and clean.

I hope this will be a high priority for the windows release, can imagine this is a pretty big deal for a lot of potential users.

1 Like

It would be very nice to be able to hide the top “File Edit View History Help” bar. The overall appearance of the app would be GREATLY improved! Besides for most users this bar doesn’t anything that they can’t do without the bar.

Hi,

testing your app seams cool but one thing is nagging me above all… Why do I have a permanent, irremovable, constantly visible and hideous file menu?

Press F11 to go into full screen mode and the menu is still there!

[File] - [Edit] - [History] - [Help] <------ BEGONE!

Please allow us to remove this menu it’s distracting.

Thanks in advance!

When you open an application in a new window, and then put that window into fullscreen mode, there shouldn’t be a title bar on that window. The convention is to hide it, and also it’s less distracting.

Capture1

Integrate the top two sections so they are a single line and not use up so much space

2 Likes

+1 for this! It’s how Microsoft did it with VS Code.

2 Likes

+1
have a look at the rambox header https://rambox.pro/#home
I would like to have a header like this.

I prefer the windows ui of rambox over the station ui.
But i really love the functionality of Station !!!
I love the Drive search :wink:

Keep it up!

1 Like

:bulb: SUMMARY

Electron offers an easy way to enable auto hiding of the menu bar. Since many Electron apps have enabled this option, and given how trivial it is to implement, I feel it should be an option on Station too.

I second that, with full screen mode as well. auto hide menu bar so you can work full screen

I really don’t like the topbar “File, Edit, View, History, Help”
It bothers me that it has to be there all the time even in fullscreen mode.

I think you could hide them similar to Spotify’s hidden menu bar. Heres a preview of the idea:

Untitled-1

:bulb: SUMMARY
Your need in one sentence

As a user I want to enable to hide the menu bar, just like at VSCode. There’s a feature named “Enable Menu Bar Mnemonic” and its really satisfied for user like me who love minimalistic interface. And i think its a very simple feature that the developer team can make in minutes. It will be really good feature for station.

:question:GIVE US CONTEXT
Tell us about the current experience

There are a significant number of user that love a minimalistic interface. Please consider this request.
If the user want to user the menu and see the menu bar, they can just press Alt button, and it will toggle the menu bar visibility.

:writing_hand: PROVIDE DETAILS
Tell us what you are looking to change

I’d like …

:fire: DESCRIBE THE IMPACT
How would it change your experience

The main advantages for me are:

No whitespace on top.
interface will look neat and better.
if we want to use the menu-bar just

I agree. I use things like this in fullscreen and the grey bar stands out horribly. It may be a quicker development task just to add a hide option under the view menu item. Once you click hide make a little toast popup explaining how to bring it back (usually [ALT] or [ESC] or mouse-over top bar).

It should implement Metro/Rambox UI but hiding it first would be even better.

Hi,
same request here. I can’t understand why such a trivial behaviour can’t be taken into account.

Hey guys, that’s been 15 months since this thread appeared! :smile: