Station updates cause issues: lost my config / duplicate apps

🛠working-on-it

(Hernán Herrera Hall) #1

I was actually I real supporter of Station, but the last few updates have done nothing but mess up all my configurations. This is not the first time. A couple of updates ago Station stopped working on my Windows and there was no help from staff.
Right now I updated to newest version in Mac and all my Apps are out of place, many of them not even logged in. When I try to rearrange my workspace it freezes to white screen.

It’s really sad that every time I see an update I’m scared to update, because I know something will be broken.

Sad thing, I really loved Station.

Completely logged out after update
Version upgrades causes bad app behavior
(Alexandre Lacheze) #2

Hi Herman,

Sorry about that, I understand your frustration especially with the last 2 releases (0.11.x) that were hectic. We are now making a priority to fix them.

We try to release update as quickly as possible to continuously improve the experience but it can sometimes lead to frustrations like yours
To be totally transparent we are currently launching 3 actions to improve reliability:

• we are hiring and make the team grow
  • we are building extensive tests that’ll be manually run for each release
  • we are reviewing internal process regarding support and quality

Anyways, thanks your honest feedback and support so far!

For the ones looking to solve the gray screen issue, let’s move the discussion to this :point_down:

@Alexandre, you guys should also make use of the beta channel that we can see in the “about station” window. I registered as a beta tester but never saw anything from it. You should release your new versions there to get early adopters feedback before submitting to everyone. Doing that, users who need stable environment will be less impacted by buggy updates. (if the beta channel is working of course…)

(Alexandre Lacheze) #4

@Thomas thanks for the wise suggestion.

It’s true we are not using the beta-channel anymore.

Actually, we replaced it with a parallel release cycle that we call “Canary” that is relatively unstable but that we keep only for us or very close (physically) users.
This, indeed, helped us catch a lot of bugs… but today, this one slipped thru.

We might re-introduce a beta-channels for larger audience at some point.

Btw, we wrote about Canary release in Electron: https://medium.com/getstation/canary-releases-for-electron-applications-acf3ebecade7

(Daniel) #5

When I upgrade to a new version, twice now the apps in the sidebar have done something funny. On a latest upgrade (to 1.7.2), it seems that each app was duplicated: I now have exactly 2 of each app in the left bar. On an earlier upgrade (maybe a week or two ago) I lost all of my apps entirely and had to re-add them all.

Here’s the detailed report

• Trigger: Upgrading the version to 1.7.2
  • Issue: All apps in the sidebar were duplicated.
  • Explanatory gifs/pictures (we really need that :pray: ):
    (if you notice in the left bar, each app appears twice)
  • OS version: Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)
  • Station version: 1.7.2

(Gabriel) #6

After every update, Station closed and opened itself again. And: everything was gone. Like, I was completely “logged out” of Station. Station behaved as if I was opening it for the first time. I thought “Okay, bug, let’s login again, maybe then everything is there again”. No, it wasn’t, went through the whole setup process, added all my apps again, only to find that everything was duplicated after I closed and opened Station the next time. I removed all duplicate apps and - as long as there was no new update - Station behaved normally. Recently, same thing again.
My workaround until now: Station installs update, opens up, asks me to login with my Google Account, I don’t, instead I just close it, open it again, and voilá, everything’s back without me having to login to Google and add all apps anew again, only to find it duplicated (or even tripled, as it was the first time) again.

Here’s the detailed report

• Trigger: Station updates, closes, opens, asks me for Google login as if I opened it for the first time.
  • Issue: f I do that, I get only my standard apps, and if I add all my other web apps again, on the next launch of Station, everything is duplicated (and no, not as in “another instance of the same web app”, but as the same account showing more at least twice (2 icons, also not 2 “tabs”).
  • Explanatory gifs/pictures (we really need that :pray: ): Didn’t take a screenshot unfortunately, because I thought it would be a one-time bug… Is it imaginable? Otherwise, I’ll try to replicate it with the next Station update.
  • OS version: OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
  • Station version: 1.8.2