Station is slow / high memory usage / high CPU load

⚙️in-roadmap
🛠working-on-it

The issue I’m facing is …

Station is unbearable to use since this and maybe previous version due to high CPU which causes high fan speeds on my Macbook Pro. I was using it a lot and now I’m quitting and running it when needed. That sucks because I’m unreachable for people that matter to me during work hours.

Here’s the detailed report

• Trigger: Having Station running
  • Issue: High CPU usage resulting in high fan speeds resulting in highly irritated user
  • Explanatory gifs/pictures (we really need that :pray: ):
  • OS version: 10.13.2 (17C205)
  • Station version: 1.1.0

Memory Usage is Very High
macOS high CPU usage, even when idle
Can not open, system slows down to unusable
Osx mbp 2015 station is slow
Open link in Gmail is super slow
Station Flickering and Unusable
What's slowing down my station?
Station causes Mac OS (WindowServer thread) not responding
Station causes slow screenshot to MacOS
Station High Memory Usage
Station slows down n eats battery | MacOS High Sierra
macOS high CPU usage, even when idle
[MACOS] Station hogging the GPU
High Memory Usage
Osx mbp 2015 station is slow
[Dear Station Devs] Major concerns for loading time for apps while re-opening
Station has become pretty slow and hangs frequently

Agreed - since early January update

(Scott Foster) #3

Same here, other duplicate posts showed even more helpers than this:
Activity Monitor

(Georges Abi-Heila) #4

Hello @DanK, @satori83, @tristan,

@gaspo53 & @pico: I’ve added you because you reported similar issues in another thread.

Thanks a lot for contributing in spite of the bugs🙏
We recently focused on improving Station’s performances & CPU usage: your issues should have been solved since Station v1.4.0 (released the 5th of February).

Can you tell me you if you feel that Sation is faster after updating to v1.4.0?
If you don’t & still experiencing high CPU usage, we’re gonna need 3 files so we can investigate further.

1. Your logs
  2. Your Station database
  3. A screenshot of your activity monitor/task manager while Station’s running

Just send me those 3 by direct message & we’ll dig into your issues.

Have an awesome day!

(Matthew Lo) #5

Hi!

I was searching around the threads and wanted to let you know that I was also experiencing massive battery drain. However, I JUST updated to 1.4. Is this something that should have been addressed in this version?

Really enjoy using the app, have been doing so on a daily basis. Battery drain would cause me to consider switching to a browser during travel, which would be ironic as the single “frame” approach of Station is perfect for the road warrior trying to stay focused on their work.

Will continue to monitor. Thanks!
Matt

(Eric Windmill) #6

Echoing CPU and battery use. I’m loving the app but I have to bail until this gets resolved.

(Marcelo Bulgueroni) #7

As a new user, I have noticed the issue as well. It was unbearable some versions ago. On 1.8.1 it is better, but keeps constant 25-35% CPU load even when out of focus.

It is improved from the 80%-100% of other versions, but not enough to make a tool too use at all times, specially when on battery power.

(Juan Lusardi) #8

The issue I’m facing is Station is consuming a lot of a Memory Ram.

I have ten “Apps” opened.

• Trigger:
  • Issue:
  • Explanatory gifs/pictures (we really need that :pray: ):
  • OS version:
  • Station version:

Hi:
I find in using Station that many of the distractions have been eliminated. The proliferation of software/systems in the cloud creates this ram usage, a blessing and a curse. Is there a way to put apps to "sleep manually, especially if we are using them infrequently? That would allow for the “constantly used” apps to be able to use the ram necessary to get the job done. Just a thought. Thanks for listening.
Regards,
Art Golombek
Custom Fit Marketing

(Scott Foster) #10

I dont know why we would need to do this manually, I thought the whole point was that Station managed the apps usage so that memory WAS NOT constantly used?! I just counted and I have 19 Station helpers consuming RAM, I only have 17 apps total, and some of them havent been used in weeks if ever, since they fall under the apps with other issues like Google analytics, Webmaster Tools, and Tag Manager. I used to run most of these apps in Chrome Beta which yes typically consumes a lot of RAM as well. But I use The Great Suspender and other tabs to keep usage under control…

(Tengku Syamil) #11

I love Station but the energy consumption is really over-bearing.

It heats up my macbook so bad and affect performance of the whole device, that I have to quit the app many many times a day.

Really wish there was a solution to this.

I’m also seeing crazy resource usage on my MacBookPro using version 1.9.0

Going to need to use something else until this gets more under control. It frequently brings the machine to a crawl.

(Oleg G.) #13

Hey guys,

Same here, it is crazy haha
Sometimes, It is that slow that I can’t even kill the station process.

Hope to have a fix soon,
All best

Hi Everyone!
I have been experimenting with different apps open on my desktop depending on my work flow for the day. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but I have found that if I remove the Google apps from Station and run them only in the leanest Chrome Browser, I have helped balance the load for my Windows Desktop CPU. My main reason is that Gmail extensions are important for my workflow, so it was natural to remove it from Station, and sure enough, it slowed down.

So, Chrome for Google, Todoist App, Station, Twitter App. I have 22 Apps in Station, with most signed out until I use for the day. Personally, I find Google to be one of the bigger hogs no matter what I do. Do I want everything all at once available? Ah yes, the “holy grail”, my “everything all at once in Station”. In the mean time, I have to check my Gmail.
I share this with you as something to consider while the Station Team continues grappling with the challenge. All challenges have their ebbs and flows. Just a thought. Thanks for reading.
Art Golombek
Custom Fit Marketing

(Alexandre Gaillouste) #15

Hey

Love Station so much but still have performance issues on my computer… it constantly takes around 3GB memory (which is a bit much for my 6GB Surface Pro 4…). This means that freezing becomes a part of my workflow ;-((

Thanks for the great job and looking forward to the next updates

Station has become pretty slow and hangs frequently
(Mike Desaro) #16

New to station, but I am seeing this as well. Station is using up a massive amount of resources with just 2 apps/tabs (Gmail and Slack). Screenshot of the memory usage is attached.

(Romain Bouic) #17

Hi I also have the issue of slowness on my Station (Macbook Pro macOS High Sierra). I’m on Station version 1.9
The app is getting slower after a while. Restarting the app helps.
Apps I have in Station:

• Slack
  • Google Inbox
  • JIRA
  • Google Drive
  • Google Calendar
  • Trello
  • ProductBoard
  • Zeplin

The slowness is more felt when:

• interacting with the navbar on the left and mostly displaying the list of recent items/favorites
  • when clicking on a link opening a drive file (within Station) => very slow

Can not open, system slows down to unusable
(Jennifer Opoku Afari) #18

Hi there,

I got the same problems as well, very slow performance especially when switching between the apps and when I am tipping.

I am using a Mac Book Air und using latest Station App 1.10

Regards

The app is becoming increasingly slow
Why Station is so slow?
Slow and unresponsive
(Kamil Kluziak) #19

The issue I’m facing is station is slow and eats resources.
I’m running 2 account of google sheets and few additional apps.
While using 1 google sheet the whole app is really eating my computer.

• Trigger: Google Drive

• Issue: CPU high usage

• Explanatory gifs/pictures (we really need that :pray: ):57

• OS version: 10.13.3

• Station version: 1.6.0

High memory usage, between 1.5GB and 2GB with just Slack and Gmail apps opened.

• Trigger: Run the App
  • Issue: The combined processes from Station amount to 1.5 to 2GB of memory usage. The longer you use it, the more RAM it seems to need. I’m only running Gmail and Slack.
  • OS version: macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
  • Station version: 1.11.2

I love the App, the concept, but on a 8GB MacBook Pro, it’s hard to deal with an app that will take 25% of that memory to itself. Add Xcode and a Simulator to that and you’re dead in the water…