Station doesn't work with window managers / split-screeners / windows snappers such as Moom, Magnet, etc

🙏info-needed
(Shirley Lin) #1

I use the Magnet app on my mac, and after updating to Mojave, it no longer works on Station. Cmd+W no longer works nor do my resize shortcuts set via Magnet. No other apps are affected.

Enable snapping window size with window management apps like "Magnet" (available on Mac App Store)
Station doesn't work with Moom
Closing station on the Mac
NEED Split-Screen Capability w. Magnet (MacOS)
(Alexandre Lacheze) #2

Hi @Shirley_Lin thanks for reporting the issue.

We rather think that the issue appeared after you updated from Station 1.25 to 1.26. This is a known issue [1] between Electron 3 (the framework Station is built upon) and Magnet and that is being handled. However I don’t have any timeline of when this issue will be solved.

Fortunately, there is small workaround: if you toggle Station’s full screen mode on and then off, Magnet will work with Station.

Regarding the Cmd+W, what did you expect it to do? Is that a shortcut of Magnet or something else?

[1] https://github.com/electron/electron/pull/15106

2 Likes
(jl) #3

I have the same problem (Station version 1.26, Mojave), and cmd-W should close a window. It does not work on, for example, popped out Gmail windows.

(Jonathan Coetzee) #4

:writing_hand: Brief description of the issue

The Moom pop up controls when hovering over Zoom button don’t show. They do for all other apps.

:warning: Mandatory details

• :gun: Trigger

• Have Moom installed
    • Try use popup on hover on Zoom button feature
  • :boom: Issue:

• :movie_camera: Explanatory gifs/pictures
    This is what I expect to happen
    hover_normal

• :desktop_computer: OS version: 10.14.1

• :gear: Station version: 1.27.1

(Sean Gilbertson) #5

:writing_hand: Brief description of the issue

My problem is that … Typical Mac UI allows you to click the close, minimize, or maximize buttons in the top left corner of the window without having to make that window active. With Station, if I’m working in another window and want to close Station, I first have to click on the station window to make it active, and then close it out, which is a hassle.

• :movie_camera: Explanatory gifs/pictures28%20AM

• :desktop_computer: OS version — OSX Sierra

• :gear: Station version — 1.31.2

(Sean Gilbertson) #6

Fixed in 1.33.0! Thanks!

(JP Wright) #7

:bulb: SUMMARY
Your need in one sentence

As a user, I want to use manage my Station App window in the same way that I manage all other application windows on my machine—using a window management app (I use Magnet)—so that I can quickly move station to a desired area of my desktop screen.

:question:GIVE US CONTEXT
Tell us about the current experience

When I use the global hotkeys enabled by Magnet app to resize Station, Station does not respond at all; in other words, the window size does not react at all. Station is the only application on my computer that does not work with Magnet—my best guess as a developer is that it has something to do with the way you’re using a custom top bar, but Slack also has a custom hidden top bar, and it still works.

:writing_hand: PROVIDE DETAILS
Tell us what you are looking to change

I’d like Station to work with window management applications just like every other app does.

:fire: DESCRIBE THE IMPACT
How would it change your experience

The main advantages for me are:

• Ease of use—either full screen experience or quickly put my email side-by-side with an important PDF I might be viewing in another app.
  • Power use—because window management is a power user thing
1 Like
(Daurys Gonell) #8

Hi,

I would love for Station to be compatible with Magnet or some of the other window pane apps within MacOS in order for users to easily split their screen between two apps. With Station, I sometimes have the ability, but not always. If Station incorporated this and Grammarly into a paid service I would pay to become a premium user!

Thank You,
Daurys

(Wade Phillips) #9

Echoing @loudmouth’s report from above:

The fact that Station doesn’t work with Magnet (using version 1.37.2 currently) is the biggest problem with Station.

I’m not sure why it doesn’t work but as a power user I prefer to use the keyboard short cuts to automatically resize my windows. It is super frustrating to have to clumsily click and drag to resize station every time I need to move it around the screen.