Station + developers = ideas gathering

(Alexandre Lacheze) #1

We have on our roadmap the project to open Station platform to developers (we sometimes internally refer to this project as “Station extension SDK”).

As of today, we haven’t worked on this nor clearly defined what it would look like. Nevertheless, we received some interest of such possibilities, so, I’m opening this topic now to gather ideas and discussion around opening Station platform to developer.

As developer, how would you envision working on Station?
What parts of the product should be open?
What are the ideas of project you think would make sense for you?

On our side, here the few ideas we have in mind:

• give access to Station thru a extension system (similar to Chrome extension) with a SDK that’d allow to plug into the different parts of Station
  • get inspiration from Atom code editor plugin architecture
  • add the possibility to plug into the quick-switch / search (Cmd+T), notification center, the subdock (hover-menu on dock icons)
  • add a widget system

Let us know your thoughts!

(Dylan Steck) #2

Hey Alexandre,
I think that definitely a few things could be done:

• Allow developers to add to an online database that stores information for every service being used(link etc) and create new services for other users.
  • Give access to customizable CSS
  • Release a web version?

Just a few suggestions.
Really like the idea!

Dylan

(Alexandre Lacheze) #3

@dylan thanks for your ideas!

What do you mean by “an online database that stores information for every service being used”?

(Dylan Steck) #4

Hi @alexandre ,
I mean that it might be cool to have some sort of database or spreadsheet that lists everything available in Station(GDocs, GitHub, Slack, etc…), shows basic info that allows the app to run each individual site, and lets developers custom add other things they want on Station without it being a hassle.

(Daniel Holliday) #5

What apps are being built by Station? I’d love to see spotify and other apps be added to make Station a friendlier application beyond work-specific apps.

That being said, there are a couple improvements I can think of:

• Back/forward button - the browser experience is limited if you can’t go back or forward and have to rely on a web apps navigation buttons to get around.
  • Notifications should disappear - ex. after downloading a pdf, the notification is persistent instead of expiring in a few moments.
  • Keyboard shortcut to jump to different tabs - if this already exists, in-app tutorial would be highly beneficial.

How can developers contribute to Station?

(Dan Moore) #6

As a developer, I would love to see the ability to build an “Add to Station” button, to quickly add a new app with some configuration variables (account-level things) to apps we build that Station supports.

(Dan Moore) #7

As a developer, I’d love a Station SDK to help us expedite the time it takes the Station team to support our apps. Some kind of pre-approval checker.and hooks that require station developers to build currently.