Split-Screen / paired apps / side by side windows

Due to the size of computer screens and the functionality of certain apps, it is common for me to pair two apps together with the macOS Split-Screen feature. Over time, this has shaped into a feature that guides my workflow drastically. I would love it if Station allowed two apps to be paired together into one UI selection so when I clicked on it, two apps would appear side-by-side. The left sidebar UI menu would simply show two half circles forming a single circle (split down the middle) in place of the normal circle used for app selection, where each half-circle is an app.

My essential paired apps are:

• Todoist & Toggl
  • Slack & WhatsApp (although Station treats each Slack team as a separate app, so this would no longer work)
  • Mail & Calendar

Do you also use and rely on the Split-Screen functionality? What are your paired apps?
Lloyd

I very much agree. I find myself switching between slacks/discord way too often in a single day, to the point where I almost feel like I’d be better off if I used one of them outside of station (to benefit from a more … “visual”/“endemical” cmd+tab. Not sure how to describe it). A split view would fix that. I also feel like it’s in accord with the mission of station, given that the two app that would be displayed together have the same function.

It’s simple but I love MacOS’s split view. While you can Detach an application (which is nice), the split view is really helpful.

I’m also hamstring on the lack of splitting windows. Yes I know u can undock and use the macOS tiling but its not the same.

Generally I use e.g. as side by side screens…

1. Toggl + TeamWeek (side by side),
  2. Outlook + Gmail,
  3. Jira Project assigned + backlog
  4. Bitbucket + GitHub/Stash

I use to do this with Chrome x2 windows with lots of tabs… station is cooler and lightweight to do this but yea… which i could do split window sessions

I like Station, it allows me to keep all my work under a sidebar rather than 5+ windows…

However 1 thing that I like about 5+ windows is the ability for split screen and (depending on app) tabs. Whether the split screen ability happens in the Station app itself or by them letting us have tabs is up to them… But I really want this idea to come true.

Thanks In Advance!

:bulb: SUMMARY

As a user I want to be able to view two apps simultaneously so that improve my productivity.

:question:GIVE US CONTEXT

Sometimes I need to access an information that is on one app while I edit something on another. It would be easier to do so if I could have them both open at the same time instead of having to switch between them.

Your need in one sentence

As a power user and software developer, with a 4K monitor (or any large display) I want to be able to split my screen into multiple panels so that I can work multiple applications at the same time within station in different “quadrants”. Similar to how many modern IDE’s allow you to have multiple editors open (VS Code, Sublime Text, Atom, etc)

This is different than opening in a new window, in that I still would like my operating system to treat all panels in the same window as one app/window.

:question:GIVE US CONTEXT
Tell us about the current experience

When I …

:writing_hand: PROVIDE DETAILS
Tell us what you are looking to change

I’d like …

:fire: DESCRIBE THE IMPACT
How would it change your experience

The main advantages for me are:

Is there any chance of this feature being implemented? It’s not difficult, in fact the only reason it doesn’t work is because you’ve replaced the standard OS chrome with your own button. Simply using the built-in macOS window frame would enable this feature.

For everyone following this issue, I found a solution. There are two ways of entering split view—you can either do it by holding down the full screen button (which doesn’t work with Station), or with the following method:

1. Enter full screen with Station
  2. Once in full screen, open Mission control and drag your desired app on top of the Station Space you wish to split. (you can also drag another full-screen app)

This will combine the two apps into a split-screen Space.

Your need in one sentence

I want to be able to see two apps side-by-side so that I can see my Outlook 365 calendar and my Microsoft To-Do list next to each other.

:writing_hand: PROVIDE DETAILS
Tell us what you are looking to change

I’d like to be able to arrange two apps to display at once. Each app should take up 50% of the horizontal space and 100% of the vertical space.

:fire: DESCRIBE THE IMPACT
How would it change your experience

The main advantages for me are:

• quickly see exactly what’s going on right now and what needs to be done
  • Viewing two apps, at the same time, but in a single window that can be resized