Show URL when hovering over link

(Aaron Horn) #1

SUMMARY (your need in one sentence)

I want to be able to see where a hyperlink in a gmail message is going to go before clicking it so I cut down on risk of phishing attempts.

GIVE US CONTEXT (tell us about the current experience)

When I hover over a hyperlink now, nothing happens, so I don’t want to click on it.

PROVIDE DETAILS (tell us what you are looking to change)

I’d like the URL to display when I hover over a hyperlink in Gmail.

DESCRIBE THE IMPACT (how would it change your experience)

The main advantages for me are:

• I could click on a hyperlink with confidence.
  • I would worry less about falling for a phishing attempt.

Easily viewing URLs on pages requesting passwords
(eviltobz) #2

I came here to post the exact same request, but for Hotmail. Currently, if i’m remotely concerned about a link, I need to copy it, paste it somewhere else, have a look, and then decide if i want to go there. This should be visible directly in the app. These days, Firefox, Chrome & Safari all just float the url at the bottom left of the window, which would work. Or you could go a bit more old-skool and stick a permanent (for definitions of permanent that mean toggleable in a settings page, maybe a single setting in Station, or maybe per app installed within) status bar along the bottom that would show such links and maybe other pertinent information.

(Alan Mooiman) #3

:writing_hand:Brief description of the issue

My problem is that I’m not confident of where my work password is being submitted to.

:warning:Mandatory details

• :gun: Trigger — Attempt to log in

• :boom: Issue — I have no way of knowing that I’m not being MitM/phished when I attempt to log in to Station. There’s no indication of what URL I’m logging in to or signs of HTTPS.

• :movie_camera: Explanatory gifs/pictures image

• :desktop_computer: OS version — Mac OS 10.13.6

• :gear:Station version — 1.23.0

(Chuck Clark) #4

SUMMARY (your need in one sentence)

I want to be able to see where a hyperlink in a gmail message is going to go before clicking it.

GIVE US CONTEXT (tell us about the current experience)

The previous poster wanted this in the context of looking at phishing attempts. I’m pretty confident in Google filtering out phishing attempts recently (although the paranoid side of me wants this feature for that use case too).

I’d like to have this feature because I subscribe to a number of newsletter/round-up emails that often times collect links. By hovering I might see the link is to an article I’ve already read or if it is to a site that I don’t deem “high-quality” I won’t click. This saves times and avoids tab fatigue.

PROVIDE DETAILS (tell us what you are looking to change)

I’d like the URL to display when I hover over a hyperlink in Gmail. Look at Safari and turn on Status Bar (Cmd + /) then hover over a link and look at the bottom of the screen. Look in Chrome (I believe it is on by default) in the bottom left of the screen. Ditto for Firefox.

DESCRIBE THE IMPACT (how would it change your experience)

• I would know to which site a link goes before clicking it and use that context to help me decide if I want to click
  • I would click links with more confidence
  • I would save time from following links which are not worthwhile
  • There will be fewer tabs in my browser and hopefully I’ll have to declare tab bankruptcy and restart the browser less frequently.

(Daniel Bishop) #5

:bulb: SUMMARY

As a Station user I want to know that the page I’m logging into is what it appears to be by being able to easily check the URL.

:fire: DESCRIBE THE IMPACT
How would it change your experience

The main advantages for me are an increased level of confidence for me and my team in being able to safely use Station.