Minimize Station to tray (Windows) / add Station to the menu bar (Mac OS)

As an improvement because it does not create a choice of Station for the tray.
Eventually, a signal (for example: ball) to show new notifications.
Thanks a lot for this awesome app!
Keep up with the good work!

Agree, this actually should have come out in the very first release of Station…

3 Likes

A moment after I installed Station on W10 - I was looking for this… would be great!

3 Likes

Important indeed!

Just to understand correctly, could you detail the use-case:

• Are you on windows / mac?
  • on Mac, there is a notification badge on the dock icon? Don’t you use this? If not, why?
  • what do you mean by “minimize”, you would like to close Station window?
1 Like

First of all, thank you for the reply.
I am a Windows user (desktop) and Mac (laptop). And I use the Station in both.
When I mentioned the minimize to the tray, it referred specialy to windows users.
Something like having in the preferences of the application an option to have the application open but “hidden” in the tray (along the date / time).

I send an image as a suggestion and to understand what I mean.
For example, the red ball would serve to show the user that there are new notifications to see.

8 Likes

Hi Alexander,
Here is my feedback as a Mac user.

When we close apps like Slack, Spotify or WhatsApp in Mac, the apps are not “really” closed, it only minimizes. If you open it again, the app returns to the original state you left. Currently when we close Station, the app is really closed and we need to wait the pages to load again.

1 Like

Aboslutely a great feature.
Minimize to tray with an icon that changes state for unread messages.
@ruimiguelpedrosa post with screenshot perfectly visualizes it.
Please do consider this request.

1 Like

I’m absolutely supporting this request, as I’m accidentally closing Station multiple times a day, and always have to do a complete restart. Minimizing to tray instead of closing the window would be great!

2 Likes

+1 from me too.
Minimalize to tray is very welcomed feature. Station is a tool for minimalize amount of applications/tabs in browser, so generally it’s used to increase the order on the desktop, minimalize is one of the best way to clean work space :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey I would love to have this feature in coming updates.
I see that it is tagged as “under-review”. Do you think it may come out soon ?

1 Like

I’d definitely prefer some form of menu-bar integration for notifications (macOS).

As to why I don’t use the dock notification - on a smaller screen Macbook I don’t always have the dock visible as it takes up valuable space. But the menu-bar is always there and doesn’t encroach on the main display area…

Actually even on my 27" desktop Mac screen I don’t have the Dock showing. 99% of the time the dock is just a reminder of apps I could open if I wanted to, so I don’t need it visible all the time…especially with Alfred removing the need for the dock anyway!

1 Like

I can’t believe this feature still hasn’t been added. It’s been over 6 months since the CTO replied to this thread and they haven’t added it. This seems like pretty poor execution. Notifications are the key to a central workplace interface and not having a tray icon or MacOS menubar icon is a big miss

1 Like

Station really needs a tray icon so that you can see if you have any notifications with a small colored indicator. There is no way to see if you have notifications without actually opening Station which is not a great user experience. I saw a post on this from many months back and no one seems to have properly addressed it. For a unified workplace browser, it requires a better notification style in case you were away from your desk or not looking at station to be able to see if there are any notifications

1 Like

+1 for this feature please :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for this but I’m adding Linux to the OS’s stack :wink:

5 Likes

+1 for this feature please :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is must have feature and should be available since first release.
+1 For linux support.

5 Likes

+1 for this request and Linux support.

I recently migrated from Franz, station is more stable and has more apps supported, but the tray icon with notifications is the one thing that I miss the most.

6 Likes

+1 for the request to Linux and Windows. Also including more options in settings.

4 Likes

+1 for having a Station systray icon. Linux user (Kubuntu). As an additional suggestion: one should be able to configure which “tabs” contribute to the total sum of unread notifications to be shown in the systray icon’s badge.
E.g. work Inbox, Slack and Drive, personal Outlook, for the others the count is shown on each specific badge.

4 Likes