Have multiple instances / profiles / workspaces of Station (for employees, part-timers, entrepreneurs, freelancers, students, etc.)

There are many freelancers and full+part timers using Station, and they would love to have one instance per project/work/client.

It would be hella cool to add the ability to open multiple instances of Station to keep us, the Station groupies, organized and productivity-boosted.

I agree. The same goes for me in my job, though I’m not a freelancer/part-timer (I’m a project/community manager at a university).

For me it would be best to have multiple views within Station on one account. So I can group apps and set them up for the different tasks I’m doing during the day/week. I’m working on multiple projects that have different needs and I also have daily/weekly recurring other stuff to do. At the moment I have to much apps in the dock and too much starred pages for everything. I only want to see the apps and starred pages that have to do with the task/project that I’m working on at that moment.

If I could for example at the top of the dock select a view for “Project A”, “Project B”, “Task X”, et cetera, it would also provide some extra focus at the work I’m doing.

1 Like

Hey,

It will be a really good thing to implement this feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

For example when using Slack, having multiple accounts connected to your current Station > Slack app doesn’t feel good and is directly hurting focus.

But as we are people, we still need multitasking, especially for people working on multiple projects. What seems to me to be most in line with the core philosophy of Station is thus to allow for multiple Stations (properly named with the current project this Station is attached to). I would imagine having each running full screen in a different desktop.

One station, one focus. Each project gets its proper share of focus.

In terms of implementing, this seems to be as simple as to allow for cmd+N.

1 Like

Is there a way to setup multiple workspaces?

Let me give you my use case. I have my own business, but I also have a strategic partnership with another organization. I use different GSuite apps for both (e.g., Mail, Drive, Calendar) and I use different applications for both (though there is some overlap). What I would like is to establish a separate “dock” for both “work contexts” I’m operating in. It could really just be two (or more) “views” onto the same dock.

Regardless of how it’s implemented, does this type of feature exist, or is it planned to exist in the future?

1 Like

SUMMARY (your need in one sentence)

As a power user I want to separate ‘workspaces’ with apps that I use for different projects (or between work and home) so that Station only shows me the apps that’s I’m focused on at one time.

GIVE US CONTEXT (tell us about the current experience)

When I’m at work or at home, I use different email and apps. Currently they are all in the same list in the sidebar, making the list long and unwieldy.

PROVIDE DETAILS (tell us what you are looking to change)

I’d like to have different ‘workspaces’ where each one has a separate list of applications.

DESCRIBE THE IMPACT (how would it change your experience)

The main advantages for me are:

• shorter list of apps that focus on my task at hand.
6 Likes

This, plus Custom URL Support, would really make this a killer app.

CONTEXT
I’m a web developer and I have 1 business running on Google Apps, but I also have a few projects on Google Apps as well. It would be great if I could switch between Instance 1 (my business), Instance 2 (a Non-Profit I’m the treasurer for), etc. and have my gmail, calendar, drive, etc. to follow which instance i’m in.

The Custom URL is because my work is Wordpress web development, so often times I’m in Google Docs (my notes), as well as Email and Zendesk while working inside of a site… and while I’m working in a site, I could easily have 10+ tabs open.

4 Likes

This is also super useful for keeping personal & work accounts separate (personal gmail vs. work gmail. Personal Asana vs. Work Asana)

Ideally, each of these separate station instances can even come with a separate icon to indicate.

2 Likes

This is the major feature which is preventing me to use Station…

I tried for 1 month, but it’s getting really mess when private, multiple business projects and open source contexts are mixed up in one app.

Does not matter how it’s beautiful and powerful – multi-account Google Chrome wins for now

As correctly stated earlier – this could be a killer app with this feature. And I hope it will be!

4 Likes

As a heavy station user I want to be able to switch accounts quickly so that I can have one set of apps/accounts for work, and then in one click, switch to a set of apps/accounts for personal use.

Right now I wouldn’t bother using station for personal accounts, but it would be nice to change perspectives, similar to Chrome, at the click of a button.

• I would use station for all comm. I could sign into everything for work and access it on any computer (which I can do today) but then also quickly switch perspectives to all of my personal accounts/apps.
1 Like

As a user, I would like to be able to define different profiles that each have separate applications, so that I easily can distinguish between different aspects of my profesional and personal life

Today we have to have multiple different applications for different aspects of our life. Such as having 2-3x different Inbox applications for our different accounts.

Imagine being able to toggle between different personas/profiles that each have their own applications with their own logins. I’d be able to switch to different companies I might work for, and get the Slack, Inbox etc. for that company. This would also be great for switching between my personal and professional life.

This would allow us to cleanly separate between the different personas we each wield in our daily life. Also, I think it could help further positively distinguish working in Station versus the browser. I think this easily could be something that would be part of a monetized part of the platform. Offering one profile for free, multiple for a monthly fee.

Christian

As a freelancer who have multiple identities for different clients I want to separate my apps of different accounts into different “spaces” so that I can switch my work context easily.

When I have apps logged in with multiple accounts, it’s hard to find the one in the app list since they all have the same icon.

I’d like to have a account “space” where each space manages a separate app list.

• Switch work context easily.
  • Find app instance faster.

It would be wonderful to have multiple identities that users can switch between for different clients or projects (not just instances of apps). I have a 9-5 job and a freelance business. I’d love to be able to open all the apps I need for my 9-5 and then when I’m working on my side gig, just switch user icons, closing all those apps, and opening all the ones I need for my side gig gig. Perhaps when a user clicks their user icon on the bottom left, provide an option to add or switch to another Gmail account (without logging out of the other).

1 Like

agree! being able to separate personal and work accounts would be most helpful.

1 Like

As a probable human I want to be able to split Station into multiple dockable windows so that I can cleanly divide by “personal” and “work”, without having a pile of windows that I have to manage.

I could easily switch between work and personal modes, without having to manually arrange windows. This essentially allows multiple “workspaces” with different purposes.

It actually could be really nice for folks who work across multiple teams/Slack groups (e.g., contractors) even outside of the work/personal divide…

1 Like

Would love to have multiple Jira accounts

Couldn’t agree more with this statement. I have tried Station, but left it because it lacked this functionality. As a freelancer / developer you have a lot of projects going on. All have another slack workspace, gmail, google calendar, google sheets etc. etc.

Multi-account Google Chrome is the way I’m dealing with it now as well. But Station would definitely be the killer app if it supports this functionality!

Same thing here. I have a professional account, a freelance account and a personal acount, then there are the projects one works on. Grouping apps into workspaces would be wonderfull, keeping others from a different workspace ‘alive’ all the time.
Wonderful product, came here after I found wavebox.io that has this ‘kind of’ feature.
Kudos!

First & foremost, way to go for getting Station together and getting it to Market. As a new-comer, I was blown away by the overall concept. It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. And I was SO excited to get into it.

However, sadly not having this feature request (in addition to not yet including Google Chrome) makes it nearly unusable, or at most minimally usable, perhaps for only one of hundreds of things we are tasked with at a time in this day & age.

I am a Miro-Business Consultant who has partnered with colleagues in business, and often has many short-term as well as long-term client projects all at once, as well as managing my own business projects (each encompassing multiple stages, with varied lists of tasks), and coaching/managing/organizing a soccer club on the side. So the ability to have especially separate Profiles, possibly Workspaces, & even Instances is essential to business organizational survival.

It actually seems there should be just that, multiple Profiles >> Workspaces >> Instances in just such a hierarchy. Having separate Profiles would very clearly allow the separation of proprietary roles, while multiple Workspaces would allow for different type- / short- / long-term projects, & finally variable instances would allow for on-the-fly, quick-switching between necessary comparison / reference sources.

So just to add my 2-sense as well as voice a little wishful thinking outloud, including this feature (as well as Google Chrome ;-), would without a doubt put Station on top of just about any organizational / productivity / resource application / program available today.

As the saying goes, “build it and they will come”.

The issue I’m facing is:

I am wanted to set up a second user for my VA and then add the applicable apps to that account. I have tried signing out of my account but cannot see where it actually gives any option to set up a new user ??

How can i do this ??