🙏 Feedbacks needed 🙏 --- Quick-Switch: recent dock and subdock

(Alexandre Lacheze) #1

Jumping between your last used pages is now easier than ever with the Quick-Switch recent dock icon and recents subdock.

0JMTFmxnAT

It can be used with the mouse or via usual keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Tab. It lets jump to recently used apps, pages, Slack channel, Google Drive documents or Notion pages.

We’d like to know what you think about it:

• Is it working for you?
  • Are the results relevant?
  • Are you using it?
  • When answering, please let us know your OS and Station version and don’t hesitate to include screenshots.

:pray:

Note: for the user of the “traditional Quick-Switch” (the one opened with Cmd+T or Ctrl+T), this might appear as a duplicate. This is intended and only temporary: we’ll make evolve the 2 elements (or merge them) with your feedback in mind.

Quickswitch icon looks like it's other people logged in when I most recently talked to a colleague on slack
Station 1.30.0
Command Tab Extension, or Similar
Quick Switch not working
How do I remove the new 'Recents' feature?
Bug when trying to switch back to google drive
(Jeremie Acquisto) #2

• It’s working
• No
• No, if you keep this option, I would like to disable it…
• Mac OS 10.14.1

Please remove it…
You duplicate the content with the items that we have in the bar, the shortcut was enough. Use the simple rules of “Don’t Repeat yourself :)”

(Alexandre Lacheze) #3

@akysto let me ask few questions to better understand your point:

You answer “no” to “Are results relevant?”. What do you actually see? And what do you expect?

You duplicate the content with the items that we have in the bar, the shortcut was enough. Use the simple rules of “Don’t Repeat yourself"

To be sure. What do you call the “bar”? Is that the Quick-Switch opened via Cmd+T or the Dock (left panel)?

(Jeremie Acquisto) #6

Mmmmh in fact, duplication is what you will see on the screenshot. 2 times the same app.

You have access to all your instance in the menu “bar” on the left. If you do a cmd+t you will go back to the last screen you visited

What’s the added value to repeat this information, I mean the last app I visited there? If you would like to keep this history track, make it more discret or the possibility to active or not the option… Like when you hold the back on you browser, you will have the drop down and see the last page visited.

It is working fine for me, but I feel like we should have an option to disable it if we don’t want it. Personally, I feel like it’s just in my way and I immediately looked to disable it only to find out that I couldn’t.

It does work for me. I’m on Windows 7 and version 1.30.0.

I’m the kind of person that really likes to avoid using the mouse at all cost, so this is actually useful for me. The shortctuts for ctrl+1-9 are useful but are only limited to the first 9; then the ctrl+t menu is the best option but, unfortunately, it is quite uncomfortable to use compared to the limited one offered by using ctrl+tab.

Although it has certain problems. Unless I want to change to the most recent tab used I have to hold the ctrl key which can be tiresome. Not only that but the Esc button to close it doesn’t work because the ctrl+Esc is a combination that already exists in the OS; just realeasing ctrl is not an option because it forces me to switch to another tab, it just does not let me stay in the same tab.

The only thing I really liked about it was the key combination to use it. Having to hold ctrl to use it, not being able to use the arrow keys, not allowing me to stay in the current tab, nor allowing me to write a different tab from my recent ones just makes it feel like a downgrade from ctrl+t.

(Travis Neal) #9

tldr; Please add an option to disable the subdock and recent icon.

DETAILS
My use case for Station is simple: Click an icon and switch to one of a dozen communication apps/interfaces* and therefore I/my users find both the subdock and recent icon/sublists “in the way” of performing our primary objective.

• The subdock includes settings/options unnecessary for Station’s core functionality and adding these “benefits” blocks a critical chunk of the screen without adding value to my users (literally covering the content they want to see).
  • The “recent icon” takes a space that users could use for an app which could reduce long lists/icon scrolling.
  • Obviously I haven’t performed any real testing, but assuming a user has less than a full column (probably a large majority of Station’s users?), making the mental connection that “I’m looking for the last app/icon I used in Station earlier today” then going to the top of the column (a new place for that icon) to find and click on it, seems like it would require more of a cognitive load then just clicking on the icon they’re looking for (which is where their mind and muscle memory knows it’s always been).

Appreciating some people desire the added functionality of the subdock and “recent icon/lists,” my personal ask is before going further down this rabbit hole, for the love of good UX, add options in Station’s core preferences to turn these distractions off!

• Inability to disable the subdock was why Station failed my initial round of testing… I came back because of your great selection of app extensions – and would love to both stay and recommend Station to my clients but the inability to disable the subdock is teetering on deal-breaker.

… Just my 10¢ (2¢ adjusted for inflation)

Travis Neal
travis@travisneal.com

(Chanda Jameson) #10

:writing_hand: Can I turn that off?

My problem is that it takes up valuable real estate and I’v hit it accidentally several times meaning to hit the icon that usually sits in that spot. They’re in a particular order and this just kills the whole thing :frowning:

:warning: Mandatory details

• :gun: Trigger

• :boom: Issue

• :movie_camera: Explanatory gifs/pictures

• :desktop_computer: OS version

• :gear: Station version

(Robbie Beane) #11

I am not a fan of the “Recents” item in the dock. I don’t use it, and it take a prominent space in the dock that I would prefer to reserve for my most frequently used app. Plus, with this extra icon in my dock, I now have to scroll in order to see the apps at the bottom of my dock.

Please allow us to disable this.

(MC) #12

it’s working but I don’t like it and I don’t use it.
It takes useful space, expecially with many services on not high res monitor.
I’d like a setting to disable it.

(xxdesmus) #13

please give us an option to hide the following: “recents”, the <3 icon to share Station, add new button, and the mute button. They just eat up important sidebar space.

(Bob Weston) #14

It’s a neat feature, and I could see it being useful for someone with more apps than I use, or for saving a keystroke or so for someone who switches among a handful of apps using the keyboard a lot.

Putting the icon at the top of the list instead of the bottom and making the subdock appear on mouse-over instead of click are both excellent ways to make the new feature stand out and get feedback.

However, combined with the fact that it looks as if one of my app icons has just migrated to the top of the list (but doesn’t behave that way), the result is that my immediate reaction to it was to try to look up how to disable it or at least move it to the bottom of the panel, and I may try to figure out how to hide it using the Station developer tools since there don’t seem to be any relevant options for it yet. That’s how irritating it is.

Station 1.30.0
(Nathan987651) #15

:writing_hand: Brief description of the issue

My problem is that pressing Ctrl+Tab twice doesn’t always go back to the same 2 programs. Also, there’s only a max of 4 programs in the quick switch Recents, and the actual last one doesn’t show up

NOTE: this does work on my Dell computer but not my Razer computer, both have Windows 10 and version 1.30.0

:warning: Mandatory details

• :gun: Trigger — ctrl+tab

• :boom: Issue — last program isn’t there

• :movie_camera: Explanatory gifs/pictures — last app should be the green Slack

• :desktop_computer: OS version — Windows 10

• :gear: Station version — 1.30.0

(Michael Beecham) #16

I’m honestly not a fan of this new implementation. To be honest, I never use quicklinks anyway, since I have either the mouse to use, or hotkeys of cmd+ (number), it doesn’t really get any faster than that for me.

Additionally, it gets in the way at the top there, and I can find myself clicking on it by accident more often than I’m happy doing. It also just looks bad when it displays, for example, the Twitter logo. It’s just not a good look all-round as far as I’m concerned.

That said, I can see the benefit for some people. I can see that it’s a really good function for people…but not all people. In light of that (and something I’ve thought of before you even implemented this new approach), is why not simply allow people to disable it via toggle if they see no need for it. To force people into using a function that is both useless AND gets in the way of some people, is just poor UX implementation.

I know it sounds like I’m whining about something…honestly, I’m not. But, for me, it was a useless function to me before, and now it’s both useless AND getting in the way (functionally and visually).

Thanks

(Nathan987651) #17

agreed that there should be an option to disable the recent dock icon; it does get in the way; even better, maybe move it to the bottom of the sidebar instead of the top so it’s clearly separate from the rest of the programs

I like the new Ctrl + Tab switch, it’s not in the way anymore, so it doesn’t interfere with the mouse as it used to for me. It’s much faster (:+1:) to trigger ! It’s a much better implementation that the Ctrl + T pop-in you had.

The look and feel is great, although I realized after some time that I only use the : switch to last content (app or page or section within app) option. But I use it A LOT! I very seldom switch back 2 contents or more. I never use the recent content list with my mouse.

I find the new recent dock icon convenient somehow as it helps me confirm where i’ll switch back to. But I understand some people would like to hide it as it takes one extra app space on top)

I had issues on my first sessions with Ctrl + Tab: some apps would not appear in the list (win 10, v1.30). After restarting station it seems to have gone. I’ll report back if it happens again (it’s super annoying, so I won’t miss it if it does :wink: )

My two cents on possible improvement: maybe you should merge the switch app and search into the magnifier button. Why couldn’t magnifier be used to find recent apps? For those who like and use that feature, it could make sense too… What do you think ?

(Johann Stander) #19

Station 1.30.0 on Mac responds very slow when switching between apps/extension and i believe the quick-switch is to blame. Did not have this issue with previous releases. This is especially bad when switching to android messenger, whatsapp and skype.

(Johann Stander) #20

agree, we should have the option to disable this. I feel this feature is also creating delays in UI response.

(Justin Rosales) #21

My Station is stuck on this notification and I can’t do anything. I force closed the application, deleted the application from my computer, re-installed it, but no longer can do anything because of the notification telling me about Quick Switch. Anyone get this? I’m locked out of Station until there’s a work-around.

(Georges Abi-Heila) #22

Sorry for that @Justin_Rosales,

Resetting your Station should do the job: