Do not open a URL in the corresponding app if it's not already added / don't force app installation on link click

✅released
📦station-v1-13-x

(Benoit) #1

SUMMARY

As a User I want links to open in my default browser when I’ve not added the corresponding app in Station.

GIVE US CONTEXT (tell us about the current experience)

When I click on a link in an email, corresponding to an app that is supported by station (e.g. Basecamp, or Github) but not added yet, it’s going to automatically register the app. Often, the link I’m clicking on requires being authenticated, so I’ll not arrive on the page I requested. So I’ll have to remove the app from the left bar, go back to the email tab, and click again on the link (right click) in order to select “Open in default browser”.

I believe that Station is great, but is not meant to replace my default browser.
I want to be able to have control over the apps I use in Station, and those I don’t want to use in Station.

PROVIDE DETAILS (tell us what you are looking to change)

I’d like that it’s possible to remember that I chose not to use Station for a specific app.

• I receive an email from Github in the Gmail tab
  • The Github app is not added yet in Station
  • I click on a link in the email
  • A popup asks me whether I would like to add the Github app, or browse using the default browser
  • The popup has a checkbox “Remember my choice”

DESCRIBE THE IMPACT (how would it change your experience)

The main advantages for me are that I would not be frustrated each time I click on a link and fail to remember it’s going to add this app instead of my default browser.

Prefence option - Open links in browser by default
Please let me disable applications
Links to websites which *could* have a Station app open in station rather than the browser
Items open in apps that are removed from the station
Opening a link to a station-supported app opens that app in Station, even if I have not added it
How not to open LinkedIn links in Station?
Removed app still opens new links (linkedIn)
Not configured apps should open in default browser
Can I disable Google Docs from opening in Station?
Station handling links for removed / unconfigured apps
(Drew Templeton) #2

:100: :100: :100: :100:

(Godefroy) #3

It’s very annoying: each time I click on a link corresponding to an app handled by Station but that I’ve chosen to not configure, it opens in Station instead of in the default browser.
For example, I don’t want Linkedin or Dropbox links to open in Station, but the only solution is to right click and then click “Open in default browser”.

I think Station should open a link in Station only if we configured the corresponding app.

(Evan Tahler) #5

Say you don’t want to install the LinkedIn Station app. You get an email to your gmail account (in station) with a LinkedIn link and you click it. Since you never installed the LinkedIn Station app, you would expect the link to open in your browser. However, it opens in station, and you need to log in.

To prevent this you “remote” the LinkedIn station app… but that doesn’t solve the problem, as clicking that email link opens in Station again.

The solution would be to not open links for possible station apps which you don’t have an account configured for.

(Valeriy Aydinyan) #6

Same issue here. I’d like to open some links in my browser instead of a corresponding Station app. As a rule, I used to press “Ctrl” and click a link and it would open in a default browser. Now when pressing “Ctrl” the link opens in a corresponding Station app. Is there a keyboard key I should press and hold in order for a link to open in a default browser? If not, you should add one.

(Amir) #7

This has been deal breaker for me. If I wanted linkedin app I would have installed it.

The issue I’m facing is I have removed the linkedIn app, but when I click a linkedin link from an email in station, instead of opening in external browser, it re-adds linkedin in station and open the link in it. I have removed the app, I’l like links not to open in station.

Here’s the detailed report

• Trigger: click link targetting an app I removed from station (ex : linkedin)
  • Issue: re-adds the app in station and open the link in it
  • Explanatory gifs/pictures (we really need that :pray: ): not relevant
  • OS version: W10
  • Station version: 1.9

(Engin Can) #9

It should be an option to opt out from specific services like linkedin. Because full capability of a browser over station page is unlimited. You can’t navigate properly.

(Keith Schacht) #10

SUMMARY (your need in one sentence)

I want to be able to disable applications like LinkedIn and Dropbox and just have it open in a normal browser tab.

When I get a link to these websites in email or slack and click it, it adds a new application icon to Station. I don’t want these websites to be persistent in the same way as my real “applications.” I just want it to open in a normal Chrome browser tab which I can close when I’m done.

This clutters up my Station application llist.

(Steve Lee) #11

Hello,

Whenever I press a linkedin link in station, it opens in Station, even though I removed linkedin from Station. How do I prevent this behavior?

(Jamie Warburton) #12

When I click on a link from an email that goes to an app that station supports, e.g. Stripe, LinkedIn, Instagram, SmartSheet, etc, but which I have chosen not to add to my sidebar, that app is added to my sidebar and the link is opened there.

This is incredibly frustrating for two reasons:

The first is that, I have explicitly chosen not to add some apps to the sidebar. I now have to close both the window that has opened, and remove the app from the sidebar, each time I click on a link.

Worse than that though is that certain apps opened in this way do not work. I clicked a Stripe link, and went through account registration, which then failed. I have to manually copy and paste the link into Chrome in order to get the behaviour I would expect.

Now I’m sure this is a feature that would split your community, so an option to turn this on or off would be great. I haven’t been able to find it, but if it exists, please let me know where.

COMPLETELY agree with the folks on this thread. Its INCREDIBLY ANNOYING to have to keep removing applications only to have it added back automatically the next day, as soon as I click on a link. Users prefer to use some of the apps via their browsers… while using others within Station. Why is this so difficult to understand? If your intent is to tell people “we have an app for that”, then put in a (non-irritating) message or notification that tells us that… dont unilaterally install an app, without even asking me - especially when I have deleted that 100 times already! Gah!

(Jason ansleyRDgroup) #14

SUMMARY (your need in one sentence)

I want to click a link and it open in my default browser, by default…not in Station by default

When I click a link in Asana

PROVIDE DETAILS (tell us what you are looking to change)

I’d like to have a preferences panel where I can change how links open (by default)

The main advantages for me are: Speed and less clicks to get the result and function I desire.

(Razvan Tudosa) #15

I’m having the same problem as everyone else. Is this issue being addressed by the Station Team? I think it would improve the app a lot, so far it just brings frustration.

(Georges Abi-Heila) #16

This feature was released in Station v1.13.0

Now upon clicking a link to an app that’s not in your Station dock, we will ask you if you wish to open it in Station or your default browser (and remember your choice).

Thanks for your patience.

(Slobodan Blagojevic) #17

Since JIRA app within workstation is not working at all (cannot be logged in for some strange reason) I have removed that app.
Unfortunately - whenever I open JIRA link from email JIRA app appears on sidebar instead opening in my default web browser (the same things happens with lever & SFDC).
I want those links to open in browser and not in app I decided to remove from my Station configuration.
Please resolve this (or let me know how to do it myself if there is a workaround) since this is really frustrating.
Thanks!

(Ronan Spratt) #18

I am also unable to remove an application from Station, it removes the icon from the sidebar but if I open a link/document in an email, the application that I have removed appears again and the document opens in it.

I’d love to just try and completely fresh install and not add the apps that I am trying to remove to help stop the jumping around.

Can't delete an account / Ability to remove accounts instead of simply turning off
(Sridhar Vadlamani) #20

Whenever I click a link to CircleCI or Fabric, station opens it, even though I’ve removed the app from my sidebar.

This should not be happening. If I wanted station to handle it, I’d have added the app to my sidebar.

Here’s the detailed report

• Trigger: Clicking on links to removed/unconfigured apps are being handled by Station.
  • OS version: MacOS High Sierra
  • Station version: 1.7.2

(Daniel Llamas) #23

Above it’s mentioned this feature is currently included, but I still have the same issue explained by the thread poster. Is there something special do I have to activate?

(Bill Rawlinson) #24

Daniel, at least for me it auto-installs but it puts a overlay on it asking ifyou want to keep it installed or if you want it to open in the default browser. When I clicked default browser it removed the page from Station and took me to my browser.