Can't login to Station: proxy not supported / unable to setup server configuration

⚙️in-roadmap
🛠working-on-it

The issue I’m facing is … I can run Station successfully on my home laptop running Windows 10, but cannot log in on my work laptop. I would be very grateful if you can help me troubleshoot this issue - see below for more details.

Here’s the detailed report

• Trigger: Open Station, Click Login with your workaccount button
  • Issue: Cannot log into Station
  • Symptoms:
  1. Station popup window appears (but remains blank)
  2. Popup window disappears seconds later.
  3. Google G logo starts to rotate
  4. logo continues to rotate for 15-20"
  5. When logo stops rotating, the login screen remains as it was before attempting to log into work account.
  • Background: On first installing Station, I was able to connect my main gmail account, but I have never yet succeeded in logging into that account in Station on my work laptop.
    NB That for certain apps on my work laptop (ie Spotify) I need to add proxy settings before I am able to connect. Could this be the cause of the Station issue? Is there a way of configuring proxy settings?
  • Explanatory gifs/pictures (we really need that :pray: ):
  • OS version:Windows 7 professional 64 bit - service pack 1
  • Station version:1.8.2.

Proxy Settings?
Login to Station fails - etimedout
Proxy Settings?
Proxy support
Proxy server configuration is required for accessing internet from controlled environments
Windows 💔 Station
Allow one global proxy login
Proxy server configuration is required for accessing internet from controlled environments
(Georges Abi-Heila) #2

Hello there,

Sorry for the late answer and thanks a lot for the detailed report :slight_smile:
Station doesn’t support proxies yet so it’s most probably that your work connection is blocking Google authentication.

We unfortunately can’t do anything about it for now as support for proxies isn’t one of our top priorities

(Алексей Серебренников) #3

Hey, guys.

First of all, thanks for the product — it’s great, it became the center of my workflow.
Second of all — bought a new macbook and everything went to hell :slight_smile:

Experiencing exactly the problem micmilton described in detail — blank popup window at login attempt, rotating G, infinite loop.

No proxies, no even vpn’s.

(Georges Abi-Heila) #4

Hey there,

That’s a bummer!
Can you try “resetting” your Station: https://faq.getstation.com/bugs-and-glitches/how-can-i-get-a-fresh-start-on-my-station

Tell us how it goes.

(Ewald Van Zyl) #5

So this is how far I have come on troubleshooting this issue.

If I open station through my phone’s hotspot, bypassing the corporate proxy, I can log in.
I then switch back to the corporate network with proxy and station works perfectly fine as expected after the auth has occured.

It seems as if the authorization request from Station fails to retrieve a token. The error message on screen indicates the same.

If I auth my google account through Chrome web browser through the corp proxy, it works.

I tried resetting Station as suggested but made no difference.

Windows 💔 Station
(Алексей Серебренников) #6

Well, tried it, no difference.

Tried the thing with the phone’s hotspot — didn’t work either :frowning:

(Kevin O'Donovan) #7

Hi Georges,
not sure if multiple people requesting a feature make it more of a priority, but if so I’d like to add a “me too” to this issue. I’ve tried Station at home and think it’s a great system, and was going to recommend it at work where it be ideal for many of users. However, like a lot of corporate environments we have a proxy server, so it’s a non-starter. To be honest, since it seems like Station is squarely aimed at the corporate user, I’m surprised you’ve made the decision that this support is a low priority

Kevin

(Emeric) #8

Me too !

I need setup a proxy setup.

(Sam Iam) #9

The issue I’m facing is …

Unable to connect to internet because proxy settings is not available in the application. There is no place where I can provide the proxy server settings for accessing the internet. I’m inside a controlled environment where all internet access is monitored through a SSL Pass through proxy server for DLP of sensitive information. This app works on an unrestricted connection, but could not get it to work inside such restrictive environment and I’m really missing the features. What should be done to configure proxy settings in the application? Some one please help. Thanks.

• Trigger: Internet connectivity issues
  • Issue: Unable to connect to internet through proxy because there is no place to configure proxy settings in the application.
  • OS version: Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
  • Station version:
    The latest version as of March 26th, 2018.
    Stationversion 1.8.2
    Electron1.7.8
    Chrome58.0.3029.110
    Node7.9.0
    v85.8.283.38
    @getstation/services0.11.0

(Sam Iam) #10

I’ve tried the command line options of providing proxy server settings as available in multiple other electron based applications. –proxy-server:10.0.0.3:8081, but the application is not accepting.

I’ve also tried by settings environment variables like HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY, but they too did not work. Please provide an updated version with proxy support since you’ve created a tool which is super useful. Thanks.

(Marcelo Ignacio Delledonne) #11

I am connected through a proxy and I can not make it work. Is there any way to configure it manually?

Thanks!!

• Trigger:
  • Issue:
    2018-02-09 12_43_45-Station!
  • OS version: Windows 7 x64
  • Station version:

(Claudio Prieto) #12

Same problem here,
When logging with Google Account, you choose an user but then blank page and it returns to Welcome Page.
If you choose again Log with Google then it open and close the new window shown in the previous post and come back to Welcome Page.
:disappointed_relieved:

Thanks,
Claudio

(Sam Iam) #13

Currently the app does not work from corporate environments where the internet access is through proxy servers. How to configure proxy settings in the application? Could not get any location where I could provide the proxy server for access. Please provide this in the app or it will not be usable inside a controlled environment. Thanks.

(Chris Burger) #14

The issue I’m facing is …

• Trigger: Tried to login to Station for the first time.
  • Issue:Error raised: request to https://station-prod.eu.auth0.com/oauth/token failed, reason: connect ETIMEDOUT 52.58.198.202:443
  • OS version: Windows 7
  • Station version: 1.11.2

(Chris Burger) #15

I see on google that using google oauth will raise this error when you are trying to login behind a proxy. Unfortunately my company runs everything through a proxy so it looks like I will never be able to login. Sad.

(Raphaël) #16

Hi guys,

I know you guys are mostly on macs but please give windows users some love.

I have a hard time loging-in the platform

• Trigger: first log in
  • Issue: can’t log in
  • OS version: w10
  • Station version: latest

(Damien Vossen) #18

Same for me. I was going to recommend my fellows to use Station at work but we cannot do it because proxies are not supported.

Too bad.

A few month later: It doesn’t work for me either. Is there any plan with higher priority and a schedule to resolve this problem for business users behind a proxy - or should I look for another tool?

(Jose Luis Alvarez Ossorio) #20

:bulb: SUMMARY
Your need in one sentence

As a user behind a proxy I want to log on the proxy once so that I don’t have to log once for each application I use.

:question:GIVE US CONTEXT
Tell us about the current experience

When I connect to the VPN, I have to enter my credentials for the proxy 9 times, one for each application i need to use, that’s the main reason I’m not adding more applications.

:writing_hand: PROVIDE DETAILS
Tell us what you are looking to change

I’d like to log in once, or have the possibility of configuring the proxy credentials for station to use instead of asking for manual login.

:fire: DESCRIBE THE IMPACT
How would it change your experience

The main advantages for me are:

• Not writing my user/pass 9 times or more each time I reconnect to the VPN (multiple projects equal multiple VPNs)
  • Improve my experience with station and start adding more apps to increase my productivity, as right now, i would rather use Chrome or Firefox because both allow a single proxy login instead of multiple logins.