Auto-detect duplicate tabs / prevent redundant pages from appearing

🛠working-on-it

(Ahmad B) #1

SUMMARY (your need in one sentence)

As a user, when I open a link in one app (email for ex) that I’ve already opened in another app (jira for ex), don’t create a new tab automatically, ask me if I want to replace it with the existing open tab or if I want to create a new tab

GIVE US CONTEXT (tell us about the current experience)

I am constantly hopping back and forth between JIRA and Email, a lot of times around the same issue, so I tend to click the link for the JIRA issue in email a lot. Unfortunately, what happens is that duplicate tabs build up, making the quick switch and tab viewing overwhelming.

This also happens in cases when I open a link from top hits a quick search, and open a link <- this one is actually particularly annoying, because I expect that finding a result on top hits, such as a google drive doc, would open the same link already open in google drive.

PROVIDE DETAILS (tell us what you are looking to change)

I’d like Station to notify me that a tab already exists in that app, and ask me if I’d like to replace it or open a new tab. The request to replace instead of just auto-replacing is because I’ll sometimes be working on editing the issue on JIRA, but want to see the issue in a new tab to track new activity without losing my work.

DESCRIBE THE IMPACT (how would it change your experience)

The main advantages for me are:

• saving time looking for an issue
  • keeping my station experience clean and organized

I end up with duplicate google docs open
Duplicate entry in Atlassian JIRA app menu
Check for duplicate tabs from same link
(Keith Schacht) #3

The issue I’m facing is:

When I have a google doc already opened, and then I click a link within gmail to open that google doc again, it opens a second version of it.

Here’s the detailed report

• Trigger: Click a link to a google doc from gmail, let it open in Station. Then go back to gmail and click the link again, it will open a second version of the google doc. When you hover over the Google Drive icon in the left nav of Station you will see two copies of the talk. It should just take over the existing one.

• Issue:

• Explanatory gifs/pictures (we really need that :pray: ):

• OS version:

• Station version:

(Keith Kerr) #5

SUMMARY
As someone who opens a lot of google docs I want Station to check for google docs that are already open so that when I click on a google doc link there aren’t multiple instances of the same document in Station

GIVE US CONTEXT
When I open an important google doc from my design team I often lose track of which ones I already have open. I will click on the link and open an instance of the google doc. I have to check if there are duplicates of the same tab and close the duplicates to keep my station organized.

PROVIDE DETAILS
I’d like for station to check for already open tabs. When I click on a google doc link from slack that is already open I’d like for station to direct me to the already open google doc instead of opening a duplicate instance

DESCRIBE THE IMPACT

The main advantages for me are: allowing me to be more organized with my tabs and better keep track of what documents I have already read or began to work on.

(Georges Abi-Heila) #6

Hey @Ahmad_B, @krschacht & @keith_kerr :wave:

Thanks for the detailed report here!
In most cases, Station should handle the deduplication automatically .
To reproduce that bug on our side, we’ll need examples of URLs that end up duplicated (since v1.15)
For each “problematic” link, can you send us those 3 URLs:

1.A – Initial URL: in your email, Right-click > Copy link
1.B – Target URL: on the opened page, Right Click > Copy Current Page’s URL
2 – URL of existing page: on the initially present page, Right Click > Copy Current Page’s URL

Please note that some URLs could be the same.

Thanks!

(Keith Schacht) #7

@Georges, I’ve got one for you. I just clicked a link in an email that opened a duplicate Google Doc rather than going to the existing one. The email link goes here:

1.A – Inital URL: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1viCTp6qntvaMOn-aqlAqCg7iPO_ctKDsE0Zsi_Up5Kg/edit?disco=AAAACF23WxE&usp=comment_email_discussion&ts=5b70b534

1.B – Target URL on the opened page: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1viCTp6qntvaMOn-aqlAqCg7iPO_ctKDsE0Zsi_Up5Kg/edit?ts=5b70b534

2 – URL of existing opened google doc in Station: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1viCTp6qntvaMOn-aqlAqCg7iPO_ctKDsE0Zsi_Up5Kg/edit

(Georges Abi-Heila) #8

Thanks a lot @krschacht that’s really helpful.
We’re going to update our deduplication logic accordingly. I’ll let you know once it’s done.

(Ricardo Reis) #9

:writing_hand: Brief description of the issue

Hello Station team,

There’s a bug with the Atlassian JIRA app menu where I have a Page marked as favourite but every time I click on it, a duplicate entry is created in the menu and that’s the one that becomes highlighted. This is really annoying because the menu gets bigger unnecessarily. Please see the picture below where you can see this behaviour.

:warning: Mandatory details

• :gun: Trigger

• :boom: Issue

• :movie_camera: Explanatory gifs/picturesjira-station

• :desktop_computer: OS version

• :gear: Station version — 1.24.0

(Anthony) #10

I have the exact same problem, specifically with Jira. It seems to happen when one of my starred tabs has backgrounded and when I click into it, rather than just reloading a new duplicate tab opens.

(Anthony) #11

I saw this got merged with detect duplicates. Seems like that may make sense from a technical fix perspective, but just to note for reproduction purposes, that for Atlassian, I’m not actually opening a new duplicate tab, it’s just happening when I click links inside of an already open tab.